Man, we have to be better!
I’m writing this email at 9:30pm after leaving an amazing weekend at the Speed & Power Summit in New Jersey with some amazing coaches and presenters.
And I must say, I am fired up. You always leave with some good nuggets and of course I did, actually…I took 3 pages of notes!
I have always been taught to surround yourself with people that are better than you and challenge you to become your best. We did that for sure.
Rule #1, you can always learn more no matter where you are in your career. You can always improve. You can always better. #lifelonglearner
I love to share my notes or the things that I thought resonated with me the most so here goes.
- You gotta coach! Explaining an exercise is good but making sure your clients not only understand the exercise but understand why they are doing it and how it will make them better is real coaching!
- If you do athletic training and if you don’t, coach deceleration. We constantlty teach moving something but rarely do we ever teach slowing it down. This is obviously related to speed training but it applies to weight training as well. CONTROL your weights and your movements. This is injury prevention.
- Make sure your clients have the proper loads! Its human nature to try to lift too much and we all know it. 90% of the time if your client is struggling with the technique of an exercise, its load related. This is everything. Check your loads and check them good. We can’t fake being strong.
- COACH EVERYTHING! I teach my coaches to move around the groups and coach every person and coach every movement no matter what. Everyone can improve what they are doing and coaching it all adds value. No sessions should ever be put on autopilot.
- Make it work. When you are in the middle of coaching, especially large groups, sometimes the plan don’t go as expected but you have to make it work. Study your workouts for the day and be prepared to modify and regress at the drop of a dime.
- Adapt, move or die. I learned this from my 8th grade biology teacher and its absolute truth. All throughout the world, even in biology, we have to adapt or we will die. Same goes in a training session. World class coaches make it work.
- You have to have a system. “No white board workouts” not that you can’t write on a board but don’t make it up 5 mins before. If you are training athletes or adults, you have to have a system, a template or many. This is why I created the Expert Program Design, it’s a proven, effective system with templates. If you don’t have one, you are winging it. Get one!
- It must translate. What? Your training! Everyone is a great trainer but does your training translate to what you say it will? Are your clients getting stronger? Faster? More explosive? Losing fat? Becoming better people because of you? It must translate, no fake training kind of like fake news! LOL
- BRING THE DAMN JUICE! Enthusiasm wins, plain and simple. If you love your job and you love what you do, you will be on fire and will set everyone else on fire. If not, you won’t. It doesn’t matter if you are introverted. Get fired up dang it!!
- Study, study, study. Learn every day. Study every day. Read every day. Find your wholes and plug them. Seek out the best and follow them. Surround yourself with big thinkers! Make it happen.
- Affect people. Don’t just train, when clients come to you, they should be affected or infected with your transformational skills. Make a difference, leave a legacy. Our clients need us. The world needs us.
- No culture No business. Yep, you have to build a culture, a tribe that people belong to. They need to be a part of something bigger and if they are, you will have it all. Last week I did a fundraiser that raised over 27k dollars. This is impossible without a tribe and a network. This is not to brag but to build you up and get you fired up. Like I tell my 6 children, sharing is caring. You have to really care.
- People are in front of some form of technology 8-10 hours per day and hearing the most vile crap all day. Violence on the news, stress at work, at home and crud on facebook. What are they hearing at your facility? Clean music or dirty mess? You gotta clean it up, plain and simple no matter what they ask for. Just do it. Nobody needs help being bad.
I know some of these are random but I truly believe that if you get this right you grow.
Your clients grow.
Your facility grows.
Fitness and nutrition are only tools and the real battle is done between your ears and in your heart.
What’s your mission? Vision?
Want to change live?
Goodness prevails, hands down.
To your success,
P.S. If you want a SYSTEM for creating and becoming a world class coach, you have to check out the Expert Coaching System!
Leave a Reply